2021 REGINA BROWN UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT FELLOWSHIPS
The MemberSuite association management system that NCECA relies on for many of its online calls for entry is experiencing server disruptions that are causing problems with submissions. All calls with a deadline originally set for Wednesday, October 14, 2020 are being adversely impacted. Because of this, NCECA has determined to extend the deadline one full week to Wednesday, October 21, 2020.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Applications and all Letters of Recommendation must be submitted by October 21, 2020 (11:59pm EDT)
NCECA is pleased to announce the 22nd Annual Regina Brown Undergraduate Student Fellowships! The purpose of this fellowship is to foster and catalyze undergraduates’ capacities to expand awareness and deepen knowledge in the ceramic arts through learning, intellectual inquiry, and creative research.
The applicant must make a project proposal for use of the $1,800 award (may not be used for tuition), and must submit additional materials as specified in the Application Process. A maximum of three awards in the amount of $1,800 each will be made, of which $900 (half the total amount) will be mailed upon return of the signed agreement. The Fellowship recipients will be notified of the selection in late 2020 and publicly announced through NCECA E-News, social media platforms, and conference publications. The balance of $900 will be sent following completion of a project report with images once it has been reviewed and approved. Final fellowship reports are due by December 31, 2021.
This is an annual fellowship open to current NCECA Student Members who are full-time undergraduate students matriculated in a degree program at an accredited college, university or art institute in the U.S. at the time of the application deadline. The student must have attained the classification of at least a sophomore or its equivalent and have at least one semester remaining AFTER receipt of the award.
In order to be considered for a Student Fellowship, eligible persons must be a current NCECA Student Member. Membership is a standalone annual fee. NCECA Membership fees are not included in any event registration. If you are unsure of your Membership status, please LOGIN to your Member Profile which contains your expiration date or contact email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org.
To renew or become a member of NCECA, go to: https://nceca.net/membership/student/
***IMPORTANT***Although the system that supports this submission form does not currently include an active word counter, NCECA asks all applicants to note and adhere to word count limitations that are identified in open fields. The best way to do this for most applicants will be to compose responses to these open fields first utilizing the word-processing software on your computer or device and take advantage of the included word-counting tools.
Once composed, proofed, and counted, you can copy your text from your local word processing software into the appropriate fields in the form. Please note that in some instances, special characters copied from word processing platforms may be converted in the form system. For this reason, we caution applicants on the use of special characters where not absolutely necessary.
NCECA reserves the right to exclude applications that disregard word count limits and to edit any and all text submitted for reasons ranging from space allocation to style, fluency of language, and grammatical concerns.
Applicants are strongly advised to prepare the following AND save a copy to your computer BEFORE starting the online submission process. Extended time in the form may cause the form to time out and the system to log you out. Your online submittal form must include the following or it will not be considered:
- Name/contact information will auto-populate once you have logged in to and accessed the form in the NCECA database.
- Proposed Research Project description (LIMIT 500 words)
The project must be supportive of your goals as a ceramic artist. Clearly state your objectives, how the award will be used to fulfill those objectives, and the anticipated impact the fellowship will have on your work. Awards may not be used for tuition.
- Short Project description (LIMIT 100 words)
- Budget Excel spreadsheet (download template)
- Name, City, and State of School/Institution currently attending
- Anticipated Month/Year of undergraduate degree completion
- Cumulative Undergraduate GPA
- Transcripts (official/unofficial) One required, two allowed. (Upload as .doc, .docx or .pdf, not to exceed 2MB)
- EXACTLY 10 images (upload as JPG ONLY – each image no larger than 800 KB)
Required information for each image:
Artists name, title of work, date, image description, clay type, firing method, dimensions (H, W, D in inches), and photo credit (if applicable)
- Recommenders’ information to include: Name, Institution, best phone, email, and relation to student.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation – One from a current instructor and one from another instructor or professional ceramist. Please request your letters in a timely fashion allowing enough time for your recommenders to complete and submit their Letters of Recommendation. All Letters of Recommendation are to be emailed confidentially by the Recommenders to email@example.com by October 21, 2020 (11:59pm EDT)
For ease of communication, please include these instructions when requesting letters from your recommenders.
- Letters of Recommendation are to be emailed confidentially by the Recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 21, 2020 (11:59pm EDT).
- Email subject line is to be formatted as
Student Last name_First name_2021 RBUSF
- The letter may be attached as .doc, .docx, or .pdf ONLY.
NCECA recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox when using forms on this site. Some forms do not respond well to Internet Explorer or Safari.
For technical assistance contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nominations and Awards Committee includes a member of NCECA’s Executive Committee, one Director at Large, one Student Director at Large, an Honorary Member or Fellow of the Council, and one member at large appointed by the president. Proposals will be selected based on the creativity of the project, the impact the award will have on the student’s work and development, the quality of work presented, and the nature of the recommendation letters. The committee will review submissions and notify applicants in December 2020.