DEADLINE: October 9, 2019 (11:59pm EDT)
Please submit in a timely fashion to provide enough time for Recommenders to email the Confidential Letter of Recommendation also by the deadline. Applications and all Letters of Recommendation must be submitted by October 9, 2019 (11:59pm EDT)
Following Theaster Gates’s challenge to cultivate greater diversity in the field of ceramic art through simple, direct and meaningful gestures of welcome, in 2015 NCECA piloted a Multicultural Fellowship program with the goal of increasing participation in the annual conference by traditionally underrepresented cultural backgrounds. The Chipstone Foundation and individual donors to NCECA have generously sponsored these efforts and NCECA is excited to be able to offer a 6th year of Multicultural Fellowships in 2020 that will provide support for conference registration, membership, travel and lodging costs. NCECA awarded six (6) fellowship in its inaugural year, with an increasing number awarded each year. This year NCECA is excited to award up to twenty (20) awards.
Current NCECA members are strongly encouraged to issue personal invitations to friends and contacts who they believe will provide value to NCECA and themselves through this opportunity.
Up to twenty (20) NCECA Multicultural Fellowships will be awarded for participation in MULTIVALENT: Clay, Mindfulness and Memory, the 54th annual conference of the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts in Richmond, Virginia, March 25-28, 2020. This opportunity is open to any individual who identifies with eligibility criteria below.
Candidates must NOT have previously attended NCECA’s annual conference; and
- … be of African American, Asian, Latinx/Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander or other underrepresented descent; and
- … committed to advancing ceramic art and learning through their studios, research, work, and life.
All proposals must be submitted using NCECA’s Online Submittal process (link to the form is provided below.) Applications may be submitted in the form self-application, nomination by a member of NCECA, or others working in the fields of arts and learning.
Written applications, nominations, and support letters provide the most critical elements of consideration for the NCECA Multicultural Fellowship. Applicants and nominators should discuss and highlight the strength of applicants’ interests in ceramics, diverse backgrounds, and qualifications that support the significance of this opportunity.
***IMPORTANT***Although the system that supports this submission form does not currently include an active word counter, NCECA asks all applicants to note and adhere to word count limitations that are identified in open fields.
The best way to do this for most applicants will be to compose responses to these open fields first utilizing the word-processing software to take advantage of the included word-counting tools.
Once composed, proofed, and checked for word count, you can copy your text from your local word processing software into the appropriate fields in the form. Please note that in some instances, special characters copied from word processing platforms may be converted in the form system. For this reason, we caution applicants on the use of special characters where not absolutely necessary.
NCECA reserves the right to exclude applications that disregard word count limits and to edit any and all text submitted for reasons ranging from space allocation to style, fluency of language, and grammatical concerns.
Applicants/nominators are strongly advised to prepare the following BEFORE starting the online submission process. Your online submittal form must include the following or it will not be considered:
- If you are self-applying, and have not created a profile in the NCECA database, you will need to do so at this LINK . Name/contact information will auto-populate once you access the form in the NCECA database.
- If you are nominating someone, you will need to login to the NCECA database and provide the Applicant’s name and contact information.
- Discuss the candidate’s underrepresented status
- Applicant statement reflecting on motivations/ aspirations for participating in the 2020 NCECA Conference as a Multicultural Fellow. (Limit 350 words)
- Recommender, nominator, or inviter contact information – to include name, best email, best phone, and relation to applicant
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation from a professional in the field of ceramic art. Please request your letter in a timely fashion allowing enough time for your recommender to complete and submit their Letter of Recommendation by October 9, 2019 (11:59pm EDT)
******The Letter of Recommendation is to be emailed confidentially by the Recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org For ease of communication,please include these instructions when requesting a letter from your recommender.
- Letter of Recommendation is to be emailed confidentially by the Recommenders to email@example.com by October 9, 2019 (11:59pm EDT).
- Email subject line is to be formatted as:
Applicant Last name_First name_2020 MC Fellowship
- The letter may be attached as .doc, .docx, or .pdf ONLY.
- Each successful nominee will receive one year’s membership to NCECA and a full registration for the 2020 Richmond conference.
- Additionally, awardees will be eligible to receive up to $850 in support. Half of this amount ($425) will be made prior to the conference to assist with travel and lodging costs.
- Following conference, awardees must submit original hard copy receipts to support reimbursement of eligible expenses up to an additional $425. Eligible expenses include travel, lodging, meals, and tickets for exhibition shuttles/ tours, venue admission fees. (Reimbursement of alcohol is not allowed).
- Final payment will be issued based on submission and review of a reflective report, original hard copy receipts, and completed NCECA Reimbursement form.
NCECA recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox when using forms on this site. Some forms do not respond well to Internet Explorer or Safari.
The Nominations Committee includes the Board Steward, President-Elect, senior Director at Large, senior Student Director at Large, an Honorary Member or Fellow of the Council and one member at large appointed by the President. The committee will review submissions and notify applicants by December 1, 2019.