2019 MULTICULTURAL FELLOWSHIPS
DEADLINE: October 24, 2018 (11:59pm EDT) (CLOSED)
Please submit in a timely fashion to provide enough time for Recommenders to email the Confidential Letter of Recommendation also by the deadline. Applications and all Letters of Recommendation must be submitted by October 24, 2018 (11:59pm EDT)
For questions about the Multicultural Fellowships please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Following Theaster Gates’s challenge to cultivate greater diversity in the field of ceramic art through simple, direct and meaningful gestures of welcome, in 2015 NCECA piloted a Multicultural Fellowship program with the goal of increasing participation in the annual conference by traditionally under-represented cultural backgrounds. The Chipstone Foundation and individual donors to NCECA have generously sponsored these efforts and NCECA is excited to be able to offer a 5th year of Multicultural Fellowships in 2019 that will provide support for conference registration, membership, travel and lodging costs.
Current NCECA members are strongly encouraged to issue personal invitations to friends and contacts who they believe will provide value to NCECA and themselves through this opportunity.
Up to six (6) NCECA Multicultural Fellowships will be awarded for participation in Claytopia, the 53rd annual conference of the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts in Minneapolis, Minnesota, March 27-30, 2019. This opportunity is open to any individual who identifies with eligibility criteria below.
Candidates must …
- … have not previously attended NCECA’s annual conference; and
- … be of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander or other under-represented descent; and
- … committed to advancing ceramic art and learning through their studios, work, and life.
Applications may be submitted in the form of self-nomination, nomination by a member of NCECA, or others working in the fields of arts and learning. Applications and nominations should highlight the strength of the nominee’s interest in ceramics, diverse background and any other qualifications that support the significance of this opportunity for the candidate.
Application or Nominations must include the following and will be submitted using NCECA’s online form process.
- Applicant’s name and contact information
- Ethnic or other under-represented descent
- Applicant statement reflecting on motivations/ aspirations for participating in the 2019 NCECA Conference as a Multicultural Fellow. (Limit 350 words)
- Recommender, nominator, or inviter contact information – to include name, best email, best phone, and relation to applicant
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation from a professional in the field of ceramic art. Please request your letter in a timely fashion allowing enough time for your recommender to complete and submit their Letter of Recommendation by October 24, 2018 (11:59pm EDT)
******The Letter of Recommendation is to be emailed confidentially by the Recommenders to email@example.com
For ease of communication, please include these instructions when requesting a letter from your recommender.
- Letter of Recommendation is to be emailed confidentially by the Recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 24, 2018 (11:59pm EDT).
- Email subject line is to be formatted as:
Applicant Last name_First name_2019 MC Fellowship
- The letter may be attached as .doc, .docx, or .pdf ONLY.
Each successful nominee will receive one year’s membership to NCECA and a full registration for the 2019 Minneapolis conference. Additionally, awardees will be eligible to receive up to $850 in support. Half of this amount ($425) will be made prior to the conference to assist with travel and lodging costs. Following conference, awardees may submit original hard copy receipts to support reimbursement of eligible expenses up to an additional $425. Eligible expenses include travel, lodging, meals, and tickets for exhibition shuttles/ tours, venue admission fees. (Reimbursement of alcohol is not allowed). Final payment will be issued based on submission and review of a reflective report, original hard copy receipts, and completed NCECA Reimbursement form.
NCECA recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox when using forms on this site. Some forms do not respond well to Internet Explorer or Safari.