2021 MULTICULTURAL FELLOWSHIPS
The MemberSuite association management system that NCECA relies on for many of its online calls for entry is experiencing server disruptions that are causing problems with submissions. All calls with a deadline originally set for Wednesday, October 14, 2020 are being adversely impacted. Because of this, NCECA has determined to extend the deadline one full week to Wednesday, October 21, 2020.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: October 21, 2020 (11:59pm EDT)
Applications and all Letters of Recommendation must be submitted by October 21, 2020 (11:59pm EDT)
Please submit in a timely fashion to provide enough time for Recommenders to email the Confidential Letter of Recommendation also by the deadline.
For questions about the Multicultural Fellowship program please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical assistance contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
NCECA is pleased to announce the 7th annual NCECA Multicultural Fellowships. The purpose of this fellowship is to increase participation in the annual conference by traditionally underrepresented cultural backgrounds and to foster and catalyze participant’s capacities to expand awareness and deepen knowledge in the ceramic arts through learning, intellectual inquiry, and creative research.
Following Theaster Gates’s challenge to cultivate greater diversity in the field of ceramic art through simple, direct, and meaningful gestures of welcome, in 2015 NCECA launched the Multicultural Fellowship program with the goal of increasing participation in the annual conference by traditionally underrepresented cultural backgrounds. The Chipstone Foundation and individual donors to NCECA have generously sponsored these efforts and NCECA is excited to offer a 7th year of Multicultural Fellowships in 2021 that will provide support for conference registration, membership, travel, and lodging costs. NCECA awarded six (6) fellowships in its inaugural year, with an increasing number awarded each year. This year NCECA is excited to award up to twenty (20) awards.
Current NCECA members are strongly encouraged to issue personal invitations to friends and contacts who they believe will provide value to the field at large, NCECA, the cohort collectively, and themselves.
Up to twenty (20) NCECA Multicultural Fellowships will be awarded for participation in Rivers, Reflections, Reinventions, the 55th annual conference of the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts hosted by Cincinnati, Ohio, March 17-20, 2021. This opportunity is open to any individual who identifies with the eligibility criteria below.
Candidates must NOT have previously attended NCECA’s annual conference; and
- … be of African American/Black, Asian, Latinx/Hispanic, Indigenous, Native American, Pacific Islander, Middle Eastern, North African or other underrepresented cultural backgrounds and descent; and
- … be committed to advancing ceramic art and learning through their studios, research, work, and life.
All proposals must be submitted using NCECA’s Online Submittal process (link to the form is provided below.) Applications may be submitted in the form of self-application, nomination by a member of NCECA, or others working in the fields of arts and learning.
Written applications, nominations, and support letters provide the most critical elements of consideration for the NCECA Multicultural Fellowship. Applicants and nominators should discuss and highlight the strength of applicants’ interests in ceramics, diverse backgrounds, and qualifications that support the significance of this opportunity. Please refer to the application questions for additional guidance.
***IMPORTANT***Although the system that supports this submission form does not currently include an active word counter, NCECA asks all applicants to note and adhere to word count limitations that are identified in open fields. The best way to do this for most applicants will be to compose responses to these open fields first utilizing the word-processing software on your computer or device to take advantage of the included word-counting tools.
Once composed, proofed, and checked for word count, you can copy your text from your local word processing software into the appropriate fields in the form. Please note that in some instances, special characters copied from word processing platforms may be converted in the form system. For this reason, we caution applicants on the use of special characters where not absolutely necessary.
NCECA reserves the right to exclude applications that disregard word count limits and/or do not address the required applicant information and questions.
Applicants/nominators are strongly advised to prepare the following AND save a copy to your computer BEFORE starting the online submission process. Extended time in the form may cause the form to time out and the system to log you out. Your online submittal form must include the following or it will not be considered:
- If you are self-applying, and have not created a profile in the NCECA database, you will need to do so at this LINK Name/contact information will auto-populate once you access the form in the NCECA database.
- If you are nominating someone, you will need to login to the NCECA database and provide the Applicant’s name and contact information.
- Applicants and nominators should discuss and highlight the strength of applicants’ interests in ceramics, diverse backgrounds, and qualifications that support the significance of this opportunity. Please address the three questions below. Applicant (you/your)/Nominator (they/their).
- Please tell us about your/their cultural background, sense of identity, and its influence on life and work (up to 350 words).
- Please tell us about your/their interest in and recent pursuit of teaching, learning, and/or creative research through ceramics (up to 350 words).
- Please reflect on your/their personal/professional aspirations and how you/they hope to work toward them through this fellowship (up to 350 words).
- Recommender, nominator, or inviter contact information – to include name, best email, best phone, and relation to applicant
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation from a professional (artist, educator, etc) in the field of ceramic art. Please request your letter in a timely fashion allowing enough time for your recommender to complete and submit their Letter of Recommendation by October 21, 2020 (11:59pm EDT). The Letter of Recommendation is to be emailed confidentially by the Recommender to email@example.com
For ease of communication, please include these instructions when requesting a letter from your recommender.
- Letter of Recommendation is to be emailed confidentially by the Recommenders to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 21, 2020 (11:59pm EDT).
- Email subject line is to be formatted as:
Applicant Last name_First name_2021 MC Fellowship
- The letter may be attached as .doc, .docx, or .pdf ONLY.
- Each accepted fellow will receive one year’s membership to NCECA and a full registration for the 2021 NCECA Annual Conference.
- During the conference, NCECA hosts a social gathering of current and former Multicultural Fellows along with a group of invited mentors.
- Fellowship recipients will be eligible to receive up to $850 in support. Half of this amount ($425) will be mailed upon return of the signed agreement.
- Eligible expenses include transportation, lodging, meals associated with travel to the conference location. (Reimbursement of alcohol is not allowed). Should conference participation be realized virtually, costs associated with creative, historical, and technical research will also be considered for reimbursement. All reimbursement requests will be considered with submission of a reflective report describing the nature of the experience accompanied with images, original hard copy receipts to support reimbursement of eligible expenses up to an additional $425, and a completed NCECA Reimbursement form (to be provided with the Fellowship agreement)
NCECA recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox when using forms on this site. Some forms do not respond well to Internet Explorer or Safari. For technical assistance contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Nominations Committee includes the Board Steward, Director at Large, Student Director at Large, an Honorary Member or Fellow of the Council, and one member at large appointed by the President. The committee will review submissions and notify applicants in early December 2020.