2018 DEMONSTRATING ARTISTS
CrossCurrents: Clay and Culture
52nd Annual conference of the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
March 14 – 17, 2018
Deadline MAY 10, 2017 (11:59PM EDT)
If you encounter problems and require technical assistance with submission contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
If you have questions about demonstrating, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
CrossCurrents: Clay and Culture is the organizing theme of NCECA’s 2018 conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A city of rivers, bridges, complex immigrant history, gritty perseverance, and reinvention, Pittsburgh is a place in which clay people can gather to share knowledge, celebrate and critique our work in arts, culture, teaching and learning.
This is a call for demonstrating artists for the 52nd annual conference of NCECA taking place in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, March 14-17, 2018. NCECA’s Board will identify demonstrating artists to be featured during the conference. NCECA reserves the right to curate the demonstrating artists program.
Mid- to late-career artists whose work has been widely exhibited.
There are typically four demonstrators at each conference with two potters and two sculptors.
As a conference demonstrator your commitment to NCECA is as follows:
• A three-hour session on both Thursday and Friday
• Arrival on Wednesday, March 14 for image verification and a demonstrator video interview
• A looping slide presentation (PowerPoint or Keynote) that will be shown simultaneously with your demonstration.
All proposals must be submitted using NCECA’s Online Submittal process. A link to the form is provided below. Please read the information below to prepare BEFORE starting your online submittal. Your online submittal form must include the following or it will not be considered. (Only .doc, .docx, .JPEG or .PDF files will be accepted)
• Resume – (2 page limit, upload as .doc, .docx or .pdf, not to exceed 2MB)
• Short Bio – (Limit 300 characters including spaces)
• Head shot – (upload as jpg, 100dpi 2”x3”)
• Artist statement – (Limit 1500 characters including spaces)
• Demonstration Description-Plan/Concept – Include special equipment or assistance needed (Limit 1800 characters including spaces)
Equipment typically available for demonstrating artists has included potter’s wheel, tables, extruder, banding wheel and simple tools. Other kinds of specialized equipment required should be clearly identified in the proposal. Please note: Open flames, paints and solvents are not typically permitted in facilities where NCECA stages its annual conferences.
• Program Guide description – (Limit 300 characters including spaces. If your proposal is accepted, this will be printed in the Program Guide)
Images – Up to 10 images (Only images that directly reference the actual proposal)(.jpg ONLY. Each image no larger than 800 KB) (Image Submission Guidelines)
• Image Title
• Relevance to presentation – (Limit 300 characters including spaces)
• Brief Image description – (Limit 300 characters including spaces)
(include Artist name, type of clay, firing, date of piece, dimensions (H x W x D)
Introductions – Is there a special mentor, colleague or friend who attends the conference that you would like to recommend to provide an introduction to your presentation? (NCECA reserves the right to assign individuals to introduce presentations when this field is left blank or the recommended person is unavailable.) Please provide his/her Name, Cell phone, Email
Abstracts, images and support materials will be made available to NCECA Board Members for review prior to making selections at the June Board meeting. Make sure your online submittal is complete. Incomplete proposals will not be considered. Mary Cloonan, NCECA’s Program Director, will notify you of the Board’s decision by email as soon as possible after the Board meeting. If you have questions, please email: email@example.com
Demonstrating Artists will receive an honorarium, conference registration (2018) and a one-year membership to NCECA (2018). NCECA will reimburse a total not to exceed $500.00 associated with travel to the conference center. Lodging at the single rate in one of NCECA’s 2018 contracted conference hotels may also be provided to selected artists. Reimbursements require submission of original receipts to NCECA.
If chosen to present, your commitment to NCECA will be:
• Meeting all deadlines as outlined by your signed agreement, which include the following:
• Written and visual documentation to publish in the NCECA Journal and other promotions.
• A PowerPoint presentation (If images are not appropriate, please make note of it in your proposal)
NCECA recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox when using forms on this site. Some forms do not respond well to Internet Explorer or Safari.
If you have questions about demonstrating, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org