Marketing & Communications Manager Position | JOB DESCRIPTION
The National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts is a nonprofit organization that advances creation, teaching and learning through clay in the contemporary world. Ceramic art connects us to physical and cognitive experiences that foster environments of cultural equity, diversity, access, and inclusion.
The ideal candidate/individual brings a collaborative spirit and desire to connect mission-driven ideals/focus to actionable practices, marketing and communications. Their leadership inspires and encourages other team members to advance diversity, accessibility, and equity. Thoughtful, direct communication will center and support NCECA’s strategic plan and goals.
The visionary individual in this position will play a leadership role in researching, developing, implementing, coordinating and directing all marketing and communication activities of NCECA to support the achievement of strategic plan and goals; direct and oversee all NCECA materials, including internal and external publications, brochures, annual reports and other official publications and programs, as well as the website and social media; direct and coordinate NCECA marketing, advertising and public relations campaigns.
This person will oversee the Communications, Marketing, and Social Media calendar project management plans, in cooperation with staff, board, and committee members. Integrate and coordinate this calendar with other NCECA project management plans such as fundraising, notifications for member opportunities and organization of special events. The individual in this role will foster and maintain relationships with local, regional, and national media contacts; create and send custom pitches, press releases, media advisories, PSAs and story ideas about NCECA activities to print and electronic outlets. Maintain and update accurate media contacts list. Provides talking points and coaches board and staff members for radio and TV interviews. Supervise communications team ensuring that efforts operate efficiently and effectively utilizing the latest technological advances. Work at the direction of the executive director and finance manager to develop budgets and negotiate vendor contracts for NCECA marketing and communication needs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop and execute marketing plans and annual campaign. Conduct regular market research and assessment of NCECA marketing plan against strategic plan and goals; strengthen and improve marketing strategies based on this analysis. Continuously ensure that the marketing and communication plan supports NCECA initiatives, priorities and goals.
- Market NCECA membership, programming, opportunities, resources and other events and materials generated by NCECA. Manages annual paid marketing and communications campaign and coordinates production and placement of advertisements.
- Monitor the marketplace for trends, tools, technologies and methodologies.
- Manage brand awareness and translating mission and vision to the local community and media.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive communications plan, evaluate and recommend strategies to ensure the plan supports the NCECA strategic plan.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and staff to oversee messaging consistency and accessibility across platforms. Oversee updating of the NCECA website, blog, e-news, press releases, and social media to assure alignment of messaging.
- Plan and develop social media strategies that will increase brand visibility and traffic across all social media platforms, including content development, community engagement, and management. Explore and recommend new social media strategies as appropriate. Maximize exposure and content.
Website and Publications
- Oversee the Communications, Marketing, and Social Media Calendar project management plan in cooperation with staff, board, and committee members. Integrate and coordinate this calendar with other NCECA project management plans such as fundraising, notifications for member opportunities and organization of special events.
- Ensure that all publications, promotions, and media content meet the organization’s branding standards and effectively promote the NCECA mission.
- Oversee and evaluate digital promotions and awareness campaigns, such as the e-newsletters, web and social media for consistency in messaging. Utilize analytics to assess effectiveness of campaigns.
- Supervise and approve the design, content and production of all internal and external NCECA publications with a marketing and communications impact, including brochures, newsletters, posters, administrative job announcements and flyers.
- Coordinate and supervise editing of NCECA publications, including brochures, newsletters and publications; oversee the review of all NCECA publications to assure quality production, timeliness and accuracy.
- Direct and oversee the design and structure of the NCECA website; ensure the website is consistent with the overall marketing plan and branding.
- Foster and maintain relationships with the media. Create and send custom pitches, press releases, media advisories, PSAs and story ideas about NCECA activities to print and electronic media, locally, regionally and nationally. Maintains accurate media list. Provide talking points and coaches staff members for radio and TV interviews.
Program Marketing and Archiving
- Oversee the editing and finishing of recorded programming from the NCECA conference and other NCECA events.
- Organize the distribution, management and archiving of content and programming materials to both open source and revenue generating platforms.
- Act as liaison with affiliated media research library on questions pertaining to the management of the NCECA archive.
- Provide leadership in managing internal and external communication during an emergency, natural disaster, or other crisis situations.
- Lead the communications team to grow in personal skill sets that build their career expertise and expand the effectiveness of all communication and public relations channels. (communication team leadership)
- Provide direction to the Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop and disseminate information and promotional content for NCECA members, media representatives, community groups, the public, and local, state and federal agencies to facilitate awareness of NCECA operations, programs, opportunities, resources and events.
- Perform related duties as assigned. This is a non-inclusive description of responsibilities. Additional duties and responsibilities to be performed as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Planning and execution experience of communications and marketing campaigns.
- Experience with audience research; strategic public information; and community-relations concepts, principles, methodology, and techniques.
- Knowledge in public relations and media placement, printing, production, and creative development.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong and effective working relationships and community partnerships.
- Ability to interact and collaborate with all levels of employees, public, and trustees, and work effectively with a wide range of people in a diverse community.
- Must exhibit a sensitivity to and an understanding of the diversity, equity, inclusivity, and accessibility.
- Must be able to prepare and follow a budget.
- Must be able to perform effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse and high performing communications and marketing team
- Prepare comprehensive narrative and statistical reports.
- Ability to train, supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Social Media, along with Social Media metrics.
- Ability to work remotely and without direct supervision.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, journalism, English, communication or business; master’s degree in marketing and communication, public arts administration, or related field preferred.
- Five plus years of increasingly responsible experience in marketing, public relations and communications, with at least 3 years of supervisory experience with a team of 3 or more direct reports.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Plus Benefits.
How to Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Marketing & Communications Manager Position”.
Thank you for your interest in NCECA.
NCECA is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes respect and equal employment opportunities, and that prohibits discriminatory practices and abusive behavior, including harassment. Therefore, NCECA expects that all relationships among persons in the workplace will be respectful, professional, and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
As an EO/AA employer, qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, and/or political affiliation. Read our full policy at: www.nceca.net.