2017 MULTICULTURAL FELLOWSHIPS
DEADLINE: October 19, 2016 (11:59pm EDT)
For technical assistance contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
303 828-2811 or 866 266-2322
During his 2014 keynote presentation, Theaster Gates challenged us all to cultivate greater diversity within NCECA and throughout the field of ceramic art. He encouraged simple, direct and meaningful gestures of welcome in order to make the possibility of a more colorful conference a reality. The NCECA Multicultural Fellowship was initiated in advance of the following year’s conference with the goal of increasing participation of those of historically underrepresented cultures. The Chipstone Foundation and individual donors to NCECA have generously supported these efforts and we look forward to continuing this effort for a third year. These fellowships will provide support for conference registration, membership, travel and lodging costs. Applicants must be first time attendees of the NCECA conference.
We ardently encourage all of you who love NCECA to reach out to your friends, colleagues, and students who may qualify for this opportunity. Please share it with your personal and professional contacts who can pass it on to candidates who can add rich, fresh, and diverse perspectives and ideas to NCECA and themselves through this initiative.
Up to six (6) NCECA Multicultural Fellowships will be awarded for participation in
Future Flux NCECA’s 51st annual conference in Portland, Oregon, March 22-25, 2017. This opportunity is open to any individual who identifies with eligibility criteria below.
Ideal candidates are those who are…
- African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, Pacific Islander, transgender, or other under-represented community;
- committed to advancing ceramic art and learning through their studios, work and life;
- And, have not previously attended NCECA’s annual conference;
Self-nomination, nomination by a member of NCECA or others working in the fields of arts and learning are welcome. Applications and nominations should highlight the strength of the nominee’s interest in ceramics, diverse background, and any other qualifications that support the significance of this opportunity for the candidate.
Please use NCECA’s online submission process and include the following information:
- Applicant’s name and contact information
- Description of underrepresented cultural background
- A statement reflecting on motivations/ aspirations for participating in the 2017 NCECA Conference as a Multicultural Fellow. (2000 character limit)
- Name and contact information (best phone and email) for nominator, recommender or inviter, relation to applicant, and number of years known.
- One (1) Letter of Recommendation from a professional in the field of ceramic art to be submitted independently of the application. The Recommender will use the Confidential Letter of Recommendation Upload form; a link to the form is provided below and a reminder will come with the email confirmation of successful online submittal. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the link to the Recommender allowing enough time for Recommender to complete and submit the Confidential Letter of Recommendation Upload form. Please alert the Recommender there is an October 19, 2016 (11:59pm MDT) deadline.
The Nominations Committee includes NCECA’s Past President or Steward of the Board, one Director at Large, one Student Director at Large, an Honorary Member or Fellow of the Council and one member at large appointed by the president. The committee will review submissions and notify applicants by: DECEMBER 1, 2016.
Each successful nominee will receive one year’s membership to NCECA and a full registration for the 2017 Portland conference. Additionally, awardees will be eligible to receive up to $850 in support. Half of this amount ($425) will be made prior to the conference to assist with travel and lodging costs. Following conference, awardees may submit original receipts to support reimbursement of eligible expenses up to an additional $425. Eligible expenses include travel, lodging, meals, and tickets for exhibition shuttles/ tours, venue admission fees. Final payment will be issued based on submission and review of a reflective report, original receipts and completed NCECA Reimbursement form.
NCECA recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox when using forms on this site. Some forms do not respond well to Internet Explorer or Safari.
For questions about the Multicultural Fellowships please contact:
Deb Bedwell, Nominations Committee Chair firstname.lastname@example.org