2015 NCECA GALLERY EXPO
THEME: Lively Experiments
DEADLINE: June 16, 2014 (CALL CLOSED)
NCECA initiated the Gallery Expo in 2009 to feature displays of extraordinary works in clay– functional, decorative and sculptural– all of which are available for purchase by visitors. The goals of the Gallery EXPO are to:
- Make high level ceramic art available for purchase at the heart of NCECA’s Annual Conference;
- Provide a point of intersection, exchange and learning between artists attending the annual conference and leading national galleries;
- And, to elevate awareness about collecting ceramic art in conference communities.
Gallery EXPO will be open to the public with a preview reception on Tuesday evening, March 24 and continue through Friday afternoon, March 27, 2015. NCECA Gallery Expo will take place in Hall D on the third floor of the Rhode Island Convention Center (RICC), located at 1 Sabin St, Providence, RI 02903. This space will be directly adjacent to the Commercial and Non Profit Resource Hall. Access to the Gallery Expo will be free and open to the public on Wednesday-Friday of the conference in order to maximize the potential to reach new and dedicated admirers of ceramic art. Other areas of the conference will require registration to enter. Visit www.riconvention.com for more information about RICC.
Representatives and artists from participating galleries will be scheduled to make brief presentations that illuminate the process of creation as well as the joy of collecting and using contemporary ceramic works by leading makers. The galleries involved create a unique opportunity to experience and acquire works that might not otherwise be available in the conference region.
Gallery EXPO participants understand that the primary purpose of this feature of the conference is to display, represent and offer for sale original works of ceramic art. Galleries may also be able to display and sell exhibition catalogs that they have produced. Sale of other items including mass produced tools, materials, t-shirts or ceramic objects is prohibited without specific permission from NCECA.
- Gallery EXPO is open to all galleries. Although initially intended for commercial galleries only, NCECA has opened the EXPO to nonprofit organizations that can demonstrate a track record of quality exhibition activity.
NCECA Gallery Members receive discounted booth rates and other benefits.
- NCECA reserves the right to reject galleries that are not fully committed to quality presentation and representation of original works of ceramic art.
- The cost of a NCECA Gallery Expo booth is $3,000.00 (Non-Member), $2400.00 (Gallery Member.)
- NCECA requires a nonrefundable deposit of $500 to be received by July 24, 2014 for galleries accepted in the first round of review and by October 20, 2014 for those accepted during the second round of review.
- The balance of the booth fee will be due January 7, 2015.
- Gallery Expo booth includes conference passes for three gallery representatives; including the gallery owner or designated primary contact.
- Background information about their gallery and its location,
- Statement of philosophy and or goals for engaging artists, community and collectors,
- A list of artists they intend to exhibit
- Up to 10 sample images, of representative works, gallery and images of booth display if available. Images sent for initial review may be inserted into the Word file at low resolution suitable for viewing on a computer screen. Accepted Galleries will be required to submit high resolution images of work to be exhibited at a later date for press and promotional purposes.
- The Gallery Expo Space request form
These forms linked below were created to be interactive for your convenience, please note you will need to set your browser preferences to open the pdf in a viewer such as Adobe Reader or Acrobat).
Gallery Membership form - Gallery Members receive a 20% discount on booth fees
NCECA will institute a two-stage review process for galleries wishing to be part of the 2015 Gallery Expo. June 16, 2014 is the submission deadline for the first round of reviews. Galleries that submit for this early deadline will be informed of NCECA’s decision by June 30, 2014. Galleries accepted in the first round review will be required to make a $500 nonrefundable deposit by July 24, 2014 to secure their spots.
A second round review should one be needed, will take place following an October 1, 2014 deadline. Any galleries not accepted during the first round review will be eligible to resubmit materials or be reconsidered using the same support materials during the second review. New galleries will also be considered.
Develop a plan to use only the space provided. Placement of shelving or checkout tables beyond the 10’x20’ booth space should be considered prohibited due to traffic flow and fire code approval systems.
The area of each booth is 10’ x 20’. Booths are constructed using NCECA-provided system of inter-connecting hard wall panels that are 8’ in height. Each booth includes high-quality gallery lighting. Participating galleries share “back stock” area nearby for storing replacement work (not for empty box storage). Galleries are expected to provide their own signage. A NCECA provides electrical supply adequate for gallery lighting and a phone charger at no additional cost. Electrical outlets are dropped at designated wall ends and may not be incorporated within each booth space. Galleries requiring additional electrical supply will be responsible for ordering it through Fern Corporation at their own expense. Two chairs are provided to each booth space.
Additional Exposure through Gallery Talks:
Each participating galleries will be provided a platform to make brief 3-5-minute presentations during the preview reception on Tuesday evening, March 24. On Wednesday, March 25, NCECA will provide an opportunity to gain further exposure for your gallery through gallery talks and artist talks within the Gallery Expo and/or in a separate nearby room. These presentations will be scheduled in 20-minute blocks. All presentation scheduling must be confirmed by December 19, 2014 in order to meet publication deadlines.
June 16, 2014: First round submission deadline
July 24, 2014: $500 deposit due for galleries accepted in first round review.
October 1, 2014: Second round submission deadline
October 20, 2014: $500 deposit due for galleries accepted in second round review.
December 19, 2014: All copy and images due for NCECA promotions and publications. This includes descriptions of galleries and artists, and scheduled presentations for program guide, conference app and website.
January 7, 2015: Deadline for final payments on exhibition spaces.
February 16, 2015: Gallery Expo Representative Registration form
March 24, 2015: Move-in and set up (times to be announced). Preview reception (6-8pm)
March 25-27: Gallery EXPO open to public. Break-down and move out on Friday evening, March 27. (Times to be announced)
March 28: Conference closing ceremonies. Gallery EXPO is not operational on this date.
- Dandee Pattee, NCECA Director at Large
- Kate Vorhaus, NCECA Projects Manager
NCECA Office: 303-828-2811 or 866-288-2811