2018 NCECA GALLERY EXPO
2018 NCECA GALLERY EXPO
CrossCurrents: Clay and Culture
52nd Annual conference of the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts
March 14 – 17, 2018
Deadline: JUNE 21, 2017, (11:59pm MST) (CLOSED)
If you encounter problems and require technical assistance with submission contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about the 2018 Gallery Expo, please contact
Russell Wrankle, NCECA Director at Large email@example.com
NCECA Gallery Expo features displays of extraordinary works in clay produced by galleries from across the United States and abroad. Works in this showcase may be functional, decorative or sculptural, and should be available for purchase by collectors.
The goals of the Gallery Expo are to:
- Make high level ceramic art available for purchase at the heart of NCECA’s Annual Conference;
- Provide a point of intersection, exchange and learning between artists attending the annual conference and leading galleries; and,
- Elevate awareness about collecting ceramic art in conference communities.
NCECA 2018 Gallery Expo will take place in conjunction with the 52nd Annual NCECA Conference March 14-17, 2018 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Gallery Expo will be open to the public with a preview reception on Tuesday evening, March 13, 2018 and continue through Friday afternoon, March 16, 2018. Access to NCECA Gallery Expo will be free and open to the public on Wednesday-Friday of the conference in order to maximize the potential to reach new and dedicated admirers of ceramic art. Other areas of the conference will require registration to enter.
Representatives and artists from participating galleries will be scheduled to make brief presentations that illuminate the process of creation as well as the joy of collecting and using contemporary ceramic works by leading makers. The galleries involved create a unique opportunity to experience and acquire works that might not otherwise be available in the conference region.
NCECA Gallery Expo participants understand that the primary purpose of this feature of the conference is to display, represent and offer for sale original works of ceramic art in a quality gallery setting. Galleries may also be able to display and sell exhibition catalogs that they have produced. Sale of other items including mass produced tools, materials, t-shirts or ceramic objects is prohibited without specific permission from NCECA.
- Galleries must be able to demonstrate a track record of high quality exhibition of ceramic art.
- NCECA reserves the right to exclude from participation galleries that are not fully focused on presentation and representation of original works of ceramic art.
- Only galleries that have completed all required fields in the submission form by (11:59pm EST) on June 21, 2017 will be considered.
NCECA Gallery Members receive discounted booth rates and other benefits. If your gallery is not currently a member of NCECA, please consider becoming or renewing your membership in NCECA. GALLERY MEMBERSHIP benefits
- The cost of a NCECA Gallery Expo booth is $3,000.00 (Non-Member), $2400.00 (Gallery Member.)
- For accepted galleries, NCECA requires a 50% deposit to be received by August 15, 2017. The balance of the booth fee will be due December 7, 2017.
- Gallery Expo booth includes conference passes for three gallery representatives; including the gallery owner or designated primary contact. As well as the option to purchase up to two (2) additional conference passes at $120 each. Maximum five (5).
Gallery Expo Representative names due no later than February 14, 2018.
All applications must be submitted using NCECA’s Online Submittal process. A link to the form is provided below. Applicants are strongly advised to prepare the following BEFORE starting the online submission process. (Only .doc, .docx, .JPEG or .PDF files will be accepted)
Your online submittal form MUST include the following:
- Gallery Contact information
- Statement of philosophy and or goals for engaging artists, community and collectors. Limit 1800 characters including spaces.
- List of exhibiting artists (maximum of 10 for adjudication purposes)
Please include name and (if applicable) website address.
- Program Guide description – Limit 300 characters including spaces (If your gallery is accepted, this will be printed in the Program Guide)
- Images – Exactly 10 images are required; one of which is to be of the booth display. The other images are to be representative of works to be shown. If a booth display image is not available please include a rendering of the proposed design.
(.jpg ONLY. Each image no larger than 800 KB) (Image Submission Guidelines)
Image details to include:
• Image Title
• Brief Image description – to include Artist name, type of clay, firing, date of piece, dimensions (H x W x D), photo credit if applicable. Limit 300 characters including spaces.
The committee will review and evaluate applications based on the quality of images and written materials as well as the interests of providing a well-rounded program that addresses the diverse range of expression taking place in contemporary ceramic art. NCECA reserves the right to open a second round of applications and/or solicit applications from the field if it deems that the needs of the program are not met through the initial call for submissions.
High standards of display are expected. Shelving systems should be well considered, as should spacing of work in the display area. Artwork should be professionally presented, labeled and priced. Binders with background information on the exhibiting artists should be available to the public.
The area of each booth is 10’ x 20’. Booths are constructed using NCECA-provided system of inter-connecting hard wall panels that are 8’ in height. Each booth includes high-quality gallery lighting. Participating galleries share “back stock” area nearby for storing replacement work (not for empty box storage). Galleries are expected to provide their own signage. NCECA provides electrical supply adequate for gallery lighting and a phone charger at no additional cost. Electrical outlets are dropped at designated wall ends and may not be incorporated within each booth space. Galleries requiring additional electrical supply will be responsible for ordering it through the Convention Center at their own expense (Details to be included in the Fern Expo packet in January 2018.) A six foot table and two chairs are provided to each booth space.
Develop a plan to use only the space provided. Placement of shelving or checkout tables beyond the 10’x20’ booth space are prohibited due to traffic flow and fire code approval systems.
*Please note, all galleries must begin setting up by 10am on Tuesday, March 13, 2018.
Additional Exposure through Gallery Talks:
Each participating gallery will be introduced through brief remarks provided by NCECA during the preview reception on Tuesday evening, March 13, 2018. On Wednesday, March 14, NCECA will provide an opportunity to gain further exposure for your gallery through gallery talks and artist talks within the Gallery Expo and/or in a separate nearby room. These presentations will be scheduled in 20-minute blocks. All presentation scheduling must be confirmed by December 2, 2017 in order to meet publication deadlines.
NCECA recommends using Google Chrome or Firefox when using forms on this site. Some forms do not respond well to Internet Explorer or Safari.
If you have questions about the 2017 Gallery Expo, please contact:
June 21, 2017 (11:59pm EST): Submission deadline
Mid-July 2017: Notification
August 15, 2017: 50% deposit due for galleries
December 7, 2017: Deadline for final payments
December 18, 2017: All copy and images due for NCECA promotions and publications. This includes descriptions of galleries and artists, and scheduled presentations for program guide, conference app and website.
January 2018: Services Packet emailed from Fern Expo.
February 14, 2018: Gallery Expo Representative names due.
March 13, 2018: Move-in/set up (times TBD). All galleries must be setting up by 10am.
A private VIP reception will be from 6-6:30pm followed by a Public reception (6:30-8pm)
March 14-16, 2018: Gallery EXPO open to public. Break-down and move out on Friday evening, March 16. (Times TBD)
March 14-17, 2018: NCECA 52nd annual Conference in Pittsburgh, PA
March 17, 2018: Conference closing ceremonies. Gallery EXPO is not operational on this date.