2015 NCECA EMERGING ARTISTS
THEME: Lively Experiments
DEADLINE: September 30, 2014 (CALL CLOSED)
NCECA’s Emerging Artists program recognizes exceptional early career artists highlighting them to an international audience during NCECA’s Annual Conference and promoting them year round through blog.nceca.net. The awards include opportunities for increased exposure through exhibition and special events.
NCECA believes that those creating work offering new/exciting/thoughtful perspectives on the ceramic medium, expanding upon genres of creative production and inquiry are qualified as candidates for its Emerging Artist awards. An Emerging Artist may be at the early stages of receiving recognition for his/her work but is currently underrepresented through exhibitions or publications that might otherwise bring the work to wide attention. The intent of the award is to recognize, cultivate and amplify vital, new voices of creative endeavor in ceramics. The award enables these artists to reach broader national and international audiences and impact discourse in the field.” Because the concept of emergence in the arts does not invariably correlate with a specific age, or other quantifiable terms, NCECA requires applicants to briefly describe why they perceive themselves to be at an emergent point in their careers and how they anticipate the award will impact the trajectory of their endeavors. The review committee, at their discretion, may eliminate candidates that are considered to be beyond “emerging.” Applicants are also required to provide letters of support from two figures in the field who are familiar with their work and drive to create. Letters should provide the selection committee with a sense of confirmation of the candidates’ seriousness of commitment and potential for continued development.
- Resume (Type in URL to website Resume or copy/paste two page maximum Resume)Emphasize pertinent professional experience; exhibitions; teaching, residencies, collection, publications.
- Artist Statement describing your work and work process – 250 words maximum. (Copy/paste from Word or equivalent to monitor count. Be aware that special characters and type styles may not copy into submission form)
- Statement articulating why you believe you are at an “emerging” point in your career, and how this award will benefit your studio practice- 150 words maximum.
- EXACTLY 10 IMAGES – Each work submitted must include the following image details:
- Description – Clay body, materials, decorating and firing methods
- Photo Credit (if artist, type in ARTIST)
- Image #s – Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, etc. up to exactly 10 images.
- Dimensions (inches) H x W x D
- Date of completion
- Information for each of the two individuals providing letters of recommendation: Name, Relation to applicant, Phone #, and Email address.
- Two (2) 1-page letters of recommendation from professionals in the field of ceramic art must be sent directly from the Recommender to email@example.com. The Subject line of these emails should be: 2015 Emerging Artist/NAME OF THE ARTIST.
Jane Shellenbarger (Chair) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed information and Online Submittal form: Available May 1, 2014
Online Submittal deadline: September 30, 2014 (midnight PST)
Acceptance notification: October 31, 2014
Conference dates: March 25-28, 2015
Emerging Artists Exhibition dates: March 24-27, 2015
Shipping Reimbursement request deadline: May 1, 2015